Thursday, December 10, 2020

Gingerbreads (version 2, free knitting pattern)

 Gingerbread, updated version

 



So this is a "Throwback Thursday" post, because Gingerbreads was the second pattern I published in my Ravelry store, way back in 2008. I had just set up a Ravelry account and was thinking of starting a knitting blog and I really was a teenager back then. I hadn’t opened the pdf-file in my Ravelry store in ages, but during this year I’ve been thinking about revisiting my old patterns and updating them somehow. The gingerbread was the first one I decided to update and to be honest, the first pattern really shows that I was quite young back then. I had my brother’s small digital camera and took the photos on the living room floor, and of course there are spelling mistakes. To be honest I’m probably going to leave the original in my Ravelry store, I really don’t have the heart to delete it (brings me back too many memories…)

So I decided to publish the updated version here instead. I made the basic gingerbread man pattern more like in “my own style” with more detailed instructions and decided to make a girl version also.  

It took me about an hour to finish one, so this is a quick project.

You need

Brown yarn and matching DPNs. (I used Fingering yarn and 2,5mm needles)

Stuffing

Needle

Yarn for decorations

 

Gingerbread boy version

With brown, cast on 6sts. P1 row

Next row: K1, [m1, k1] to end. Beginning with P row st-st 7 rows. Leave the leg to a spare needle and knit the second leg the same way.

Knit across both needles and cast on 1sts in the end of both needles (24sts).

Beginning with P row, st-st 9 rows.

Next row: *_*Shape the shoulders: k3, k2togx3, k6, k2togx3, k3

St-st 3 rows or P1 row

(You can choose, it affects the shape of the head a little: I had 3 rows between the head and shoulders in the boy and just one row in the girl version).

Head: k1, m1, k2, [m1, k3] five times. St-st 7 rows/ 9 rows (depending how many rows you had in the neck, I also decreased 1sts in both ends of the last p row)

Next row: K2tog in every st.

Cut of yarn and pull it through the remaining stitches, don’t pull too tight yet.

Sew the leg seam, and then the back seam.

Stuff the toy and the close the top of the head. I tightened the neck with a bit of yarn.

Arms (make 2): cast on 8sts. Beginning with p row st-st 7 rows. Next row: K2tog in every st. Cut of yarn. Sew the back seam, stuff and sew to the body.

Embroider eyes, mouth, nose and then the decorations to the body.

 

Girl version:

Cast on 32 sts with brown. Beginning with P row st-st 3 rows.

Next row: k9, skpo, k10, k2tog, k9. St-st 3 rows.

Nr: k8, skpo, k10, k2tog,k8. St-st 3 rows 

Nr: k7, skpo, k10, k2tog, k7. P1 row 

Nr: k6, skpo, k10, k2tog, k6. P1 row.

Same as the gingerbread man from *_*.

Legs: cast on 11sts. St-st 3 rows Next row: K1, [k2tog] to end.

Arms: same as the gingerbread man.

Sew first the back seam and head of the girl, then stuff. Sew the leg’s seams and the arm’s seams Insert the legs and sew the bottom seam. Attach arms.

 

I hope you enjoy knitting these little gingerbreads and please tell me if you find any errors in the pattern.

- Minttusuklaa

 Copyright Minttusuklaa, you can sell toys made with this pattern, but don't sell the pattern itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment