Saturday, May 30, 2020

Tilda sewing

Hello all,
I just love sewing at the moment. It is so nice to do in the springtime and update a wardrobe with new summer clothes and so on and as a side project for stash-busting purposes to make new dolls.
Tone Finnanger's Tilda books came out so many years ago and as a teenager, I really didn't have money to buy those lovely pattern books and fabrics (I was happy that the library system existed and the post-Christmas sales when the books were cheaper after few years).
I bought a collection of different patterns about two years ago, that needed to be resized when doing a project and finally got the inspiration to finish a pair of giraffes and a set of dolls.
The giraffes are made of trouser fabric that was just a pain to sew, it was so thick. I don't what was I thinking when I decided to use it for toys. I think I even broke a needle when trying to attach the ears and stitching is visible due to the pain of trying to get the ears sewn in their places. But this couple turned out really well. I even remade the girl, because I screwed up the eyes the first time.


The set of girls was just a side project I decided to and I'm happy how they turned out. I have so many scraps from my different dress projects. Problems I had were with the dress, I think I attached the arms too well and the dress bodice didn't fit, so I kinda improvised my own dress for both.
I also like the hair, I bought it from Aliexpress and it is actually quite nice.

So next time when I'm sewing Tilda toys what would be good things to remember?

1) Check the scaling of the printer or copying machine, if the pattern needs to be resized or how many copies you are making. I accidentally hit the wrong arrow kay and almost ended up with 99 leg patterns.

2) Remember to adjust the head pattern well.
I kinda like the head for the dolls to be rounders shape so I do some modifications to patterns. It is just so much easier before sewing and cutting the fabric when drawn on the pattern than the piece you've sewn and cut out.

3) Choose the fabric wisely. Don't be like me and pick a fabric that is too thick



No comments:

Post a Comment